Meet the Players
Camerata has three shows to offer schools, adaptable for the specific audience that we are performing to, be it Primary or Secondary or a mixture of the two. We have even found that our older “life-long learners” find our shows enlightening and educational. Our three shows are:
Camerata Starter is the perfect introduction to those who are new to the Camerata experience.
- Learn about the instruments of the string orchestra and hear the unique sounds of each.
- Learn about the two most common ways to play a string instrument – arco and pizzicato.
- Hear a story come to life in music.
- Bring your best bidding strategy for Camerata’s “Instrument Auction”
- Experience music that spans 300 years!
- Learn how an 18 piece string orchestra plays without a conductor.
- What’s the connection between going to bed and the sound of the string orchestra? All will be revealed…
Strings in the Remix
You might think the remix has only been around since the rise of the DJ but we’re here to show you that it’s been around for a lot longer than that!
- Camerata will explain how composers over 300 years ago were already remixing classical music. You will hear examples of remixing from classical to classical, classical to pop and pop to classical with a Camerata player taking you through the process step-by-step.
- What inspires composers to write music? Are composers always dead guys? Camerata will reveal what makes a composer tick and you will hear some exciting new music written by composers who are very much alive today who have taken their inspiration from Hollywood and films, old fairy tales, dance and more.
- Ever wondered how sound works? We will give you a brief physics lesson on how a string instrument produces its sound (don’t worry, we’re musicians, not physicists so if we can understand it, you can understand it).
Old to New
Music is old, really old. There have been discoveries of musical instruments from the prehistoric period thought to be 40 000 years old. For something to last that long, it must be good. Join Camerata on a journey through time where you will hear old music that has been made new, new music that has borrowed from the past, old and new instruments being played together. The entire audience will even get to perform with Camerata to create a musical story together
There is no better experience for young musicians to be able to stand next to a professional musician and make music together. Camerata opens its arms to established student string orchestras to integrate into our ensemble and rehearse side-by-side Camerata players. We will work on pieces that your ensemble is currently playing and you will get a wonderful insight on how Camerata works as an ensemble, learn new rehearsal techniques and feel what it’s like to play in a professional string orchestra. This is a fully flexible workshop and prior to our arrival, we will work together on what would be most beneficial for your ensemble. This is also an excellent opportunity to rehearse the piece before it is performed as part of a Schools Show. We also offer schools with a wind ensemble but no string ensemble to combine with Camerata to give students the experience of playing in a small symphony orchestra.
Join one or more of our talented Camerata players in a masterclass session on their particular stringed instrument. This package is aimed at students who are at an intermediate to advanced level and is beneficial for the students performing as well as the audience members.