Are you Camerata’s 2023 Emerging Composer-in-Residence?
Write for one of Australia’s busiest ensembles!
Camerata’s Emerging Composer-in-Residence program originally began in 2015 as a regional touring commission where an emerging composer was invited to compose a piece of music inspired by a regional area through which Camerata was touring. The first work premiered in Longreach that same year, which saw Camerata’s chief touring funders, the Tim Fairfax Family Foundation, enabling both the tour and the commission.
Since then, the list of composers has included: Christopher Healey with Renewing Rain about the droughts in Longreach and Ilfracombe in 2015; Connor D’Netto in a work about Charleville, premiered at the Charleville Racecourse; Michael Patterson with Pieza da Paronella, a work that captures the story of Far North Queensland’s historic Paronella Park established by Jose Paronella; Isabella Gerometta wrote Beams and Waves as a response to Barcaldine’s Tree of Knowedlge sculpture (an incredible sculpture that replaced the actual Tree of Knowledge after it was poisoned); John Rotar’s sublime depiction of the area around Winton – Plains Baked Golden in the Morning Light – which premiered as part of Camerata’s tour and Opera Queensland’s inaugural Festival of Outback Opera in 2021; and Alexander Voltz’s Central Highland Rounds based on his experience in Emerald and the people he met there.
As part of the residency, the successful applicant will be required to travel to a regional area in Queensland to be immersed in the region, ideally during March 2023 (specific dates subject to discussion). Please indicate your availability in your application.
How to apply
- An expression of interest (no more than 1 x A4 page)
- A one-page CV including 2 referees that can comment about your abilities as a composer
- Up to 3 links to files of your works to date. (eg. Performances on Vimeo or YouTube links, or full scores and files via platforms like a dropbox link)
- Your availability during March 2023
- Emerging or early career composers that are from or will be based in Queensland in 2023
- Monday, 5 December 2022, 12pm
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview in December 2022
To apply (or for more information):
- Please email email@example.com with the subject line, “2023 Emerging Composer-in-Residence”